- Jonathan Taplin; The Technology Revolution Impacts and Reduces the Workforce; On YouTube; 2015-03-10; 5:06.
- Jonathan Taplin; Sleeping Through a Revolution; on Vimeo; 2015-03-10; 44:10.
Teaser: The Moral Framework of the Technology Revolution
- Jonathan Taplin (USC); Sleeping Through a Revolution; In Medium; 2015-04-22.
Teaser: Letter to the Millennials 2
tl;dr → internet advertising is bad; internet surveillance is bad; an extended defense of high-copyright cultural products industries (music, film, etc.). Google is bad.
Platform for the Renaissance
- 1GB/s symmetric network
- Network Neutrality
- Copyright on everything
- Public broadcasting
On the micropayments concept
- which is not advertising
- with no embedded clearance fees
cited as e.g. Visa, PayPal, Bitcoin, etc.
ahem, because … the moneychangers don’t create.
- with fees for cultural product presentment
cited as, e.g. $0.25/view to read the video/audio/linkbait/UGC ($250 CPM).
ahem, sounds very Randian
- Annenberg Innovation Lab, University of Southern California.
- Recitation of the ’60s and ’70s counterculture as a time of greatness
- Fred Turner
- John Markoff
- Nicholas Negroponte
- Whole Earth Lectronic Link (WELL)
- Ken Kesey
- Stewart Brand
- Recitation of the ’80s and beyond as a time of badness
- Peter Thiel, PayPall
- the Stanford University cohort
- Silicon Valley
- Ayn Rand
- The PayPal Mafia
- all men, as an epithet
- The Cato Institute
- male makers
- Larry Page, ex-CEO, Google
- Jeff Bezos, CEO, Amazon
- internet platform
- Scott Timberg; Culture Crash: The Killing of the Creative Class; Yale University Press; 2015-01-13; 320 pages; kindle: $13, paper: $12+SHT.
- Rewire: Digital Cosmopolitans in the Age of Connection; W. W. Norton & Company; 2013-06-17; 288 pages; kindle: $10, paper: $8+SHT.
- Government-defined monopolies → good (AT&T, etc.)
- Unregulated (natural) monopolies → bad (Apple, Comcast, Facebook, Google, etc.)
- Digital Bandits
- Kim Dotcom
- David Plouffe
- Digital Bandits
- George Akerlof → market for lemons
- YouTube isn’t quality content, those people aren’t true artists.
Hollywood film is quality content made by true artists.
for color, background & verisimilitude
- Nils Gilman, Associate Chancellor, UC Berkeley
- Larry Summers, Harvard
- Nils Gilman (UCB); The Twin Insurgency; In The American Interest; Volume 9, Number 6; 2014-06-15.
Teaser: The postmodern state is under siege from plutocrats and criminals who unknowingly compound each other’s insidiousness.
<quote>The postmodern state is under siege from plutocrats and criminals who unknowingly compound each other’s insidiousness.</quote>
- Cited, as exemplars of extreme good or evil
- Abraham Lincoln
- sharing economy
- David Plouffe, lobbyist, ex-Obama 2012
- The Koch Brothers
- Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)
- was good
- crude, but
- Some article, The Economist (uncited)
the ability to substitute capital for labor (has profound implications)
- Reagan, Reagan-era
- John Maynard Keynes
opined about substituting capital for labor (the 15 hour work week)
- Martin Luther King
credited with the quote “asleep at the reolution”
- Julie Cohen, professor, Georgetown University
- opined about privacy
- popularization, summarization
Why does Privacy Matter? One Scholar’s Answer; Jathan Sadowski; In The Atlantic; 2013-02-26.
Teaser: If we want to protect privacy, we should be more clear about why it is import
tl;dr → <quote>Privacy is not just something we enjoy. It is something that is necessary for us to: develop who we are; form an identity that is not dictated by the social conditions that directly or indirectly influence our thinking, decisions, and behaviors; and decide what type of society we want to live in.</quote>
- Aldous Huxley
- Virtual Reality’s Potential Displayed at Game Developers’ Conference; In The New York Times (NYT); 2015-03-06.
- Nir Eyal; Hooked: How to Build Habit Forming Products; Nir Eyal, via Amazon; 2013-12-30; 156 pages; kindle: $14, paper: $12+SHT.
- Sundance Courts a New Celebrity Crowd; some cub reporter; In The New York Times (NYT); 2015-02-01.
tl;dr → Sundance Film Festival, grift, bribes for promotion
- Libertarian liberty → bad
the absence of non-consensual oversight
- Thomas Jefferson liberty → good
of Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness
- Libertarian liberty → bad
- Thomas Jefferson
- Government has a role to play
- American renaissance: 1935→1975.
- Vox Media
- native advertising
- brand integration
the good guys
- Bob Dylan
- George Harrison
- Martin Scorsese