Jack Clark; How Facebook flipped the data centre hardware market; In The Register; 2014-02-20.
Teaser: The first rule of cloud fight club is…
InContext 2014 by EverythingMe.
On the notion of context and anticipation of needs in & around a device class that has no keyboard and lives with you.
video; 48:47; slides
Benedict Evans, Andreesen Horowitz
Q&A with Benedict Evans faciliated byTim Draper (he plays John Battelle in this vignette)
- Recites the boring statistics,
- explosive growth,
- gosh it’s really big,
- <gee whizz!>
- He compares
- Yahoo 1996 to App Store 2014; replaced by Google (unstructured search)
- Web vs Internet; the web is all “the internet does”
- Mobile is pre-pagerank”
- What happens in 5 years
- He doesn’t know
- Android (in 5 years)
- Coding languages (in 5 years)
- Access vs owning
- Apple: top down the stack (from control of the supply chain)
- Google: up the stack (from hardware fragmentation)
- I know what I want => Google
- I’m bored => Facebook, BuzzFeed, etc. etc.
- Demand Generation => empty
- Are inherently social
- Take away “winner take all”
- Cards as content packages
- Can be shared
- Can be syndicated
- Atomised Content
- App Silos
- What’s Already Known
- Apps frequently used
- Travel patterns
- Google Now
- or other similar things
- The Filter Bubble
- The Uncanny Valley
- Something about ‘Ecosystem Cohorts’
- Neither Apple nor Google “will win”; ther is no “winner take all” dynamic.
- Some generalized whining
- that intent and preference prediction won’t work;
story about Pandora from Tim Draper.
- that Google Now is ‘closed’ to (his) startups.
- Unclear that a human butler (ahem, “life coach”) could live achive these standards.
- Something about the music industry
- It’s a distribution business
- A quote from Mic Jagger about musicians not being paid 1970s-1995, not before, not after.
- Draper on tablet vs PC
- Tablet is for reading (&deleting)
- PC is for creating
Bytes of Context
- Andreas Gal, Mozilla,
- Andy Grignon, Quake Labs/Eightly, moderator
- Andy Hickl, A.R.O,
- G D Ramkumar, Swell.
- Dave Smiddy, Alohar.
- Josh Constine, TechCrunch, moderator
- Brendan Eich from Mozilla,
- Seth Sternberg from Google,
- Ami Ben David from EverythingMe.
Mozilla Product Announcement
- Ami Ben David, Co-founder and Head of Strategy and Marketing at EverythingMe,
- Andreas Gal, VP Mobile at Mozilla.
Firefox Launcher for Android by Mozilla
Wearables in Context
- Peter Berger, People+,
- Christina Farr, VentureBeat,
- Monisha Perkash, LUMO,
- Rackspace’s Robert Scoble, moderator
- Redg Snodgrass, Wearable World.