- Product: Docker
- Linux Container Engine (LCE)
- not a virtual machine solution
- Requires special kernel versions (to run the container)
- Docker and Red Hat have had incompatible versions of the Linux kernel (hence the collaboration announcement)
Support roadmap (all future tense)
- (Docker will be supported on …)
- Fedora => soon
- OpenShift => subsequently
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) => eventually.
- Introduction of libvirt for container interface management
- Remove Docker’s dependency on AuFS
- Something vague about a “new approach to provisioning” based on device mapper.
- Harmonize Docker and OpenShift Gears
- Docker with OpenShift’s cartridge model for application orchestration.
Exemplars & Projects
- Solomon Hykes, founder
- Ben Golub, CEO
- Benchmark (Peter Fenton)
- Trinity Ventures (Dan Scholnick)
- AME Cloud Ventures (Jerry Yang)
- Y Combinator
- SV Angel (Ron Conway)
- Joe Fernandes, OpenShift product management, Red Hat.
- Requires “container” support in kernel; conceptually supported as
- dotCloud; Red Hat and Docker Collaborate; press release; 2013-09-19.
- Red Hat; Red Hat and dotCloud Collaborate on Docker to Bring Next Generation Linux Container Enhancements to OpenShift Platform-as-a-Service; press release; 2013-09-19.
Alex Williams; DotCloud Pivots And Wins Big With Docker, The Cloud Service Now Part Of Red Hat OpenShift; In TechCrunch; 2013-09-19.