Ben Thompson; Popping the Publishing Bubble; In His Blog, entitled Stratechery; 2015-09-16.
tl;dr → the Gentleman’s Business of the Fourth Estate is no more; see the cartoons.
- Ad Blocking
- Ad Platforms
- ad targeting misaligns incentive operating on publishers
- ad blocking is orthogonal (& irrelevant) to this activity
- consumers (readers)
- customers (advertisers)
- the product is (was) the attention of consumers delivered to the customers.
- ad targeting separates desired consumers out among the publisher’s output, which contains much unwanted product.
- publishers no longer produce consumers to advertiers
advertisers can find the consumers anywhere, on any venue.
- business models
- niche business → the whales
- scale business → make it up in volume
Ben Thompson; In His Blog, entitled Stratechery.