- Kevin Kelly, The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future, ISBN:978-0143110378, paperback: 2017-06-06.
- Jane McGonigal, Reality is Broken, ISBN:978-0143120612,
- Rebecca Solnit, Hope in the Dark: Untold Histories, Wild Possibilities, ISBN 1608465764,
<quote>A favorite saying of futurists is: “Get there early.” As futurists, we think about things long before they start to happen. Since our first class meeting is still in the future, this is the perfect opportunity for you to start getting there early.
Before our first class, please read the following two essays:
- Marina Gorbis, “The Future as a Way of Life”, separately noted.
- Jim Dator, “What Future Studies Is, and Is Not”, separately noted.
You’ll notice that our syllabus includes quotes throughout for inspiration and provocation. After you’ve read these two essays, please send me an email with the one sentence from each essay that stood out to you. (That is, please send Prof. McGonigal your favorite quote from each essay.) Prof. McGonigal will collect and share these on the course website. The email address is on The Internet.</quote>