- AI <ahem>1970→2004, AI defined as that which computers could not do (FAIL); 2004→2017 AI redefined to that which computers can do (success!)</ahem>
- Big Data (which is so very big, we are all very impressed down here)
- The Coming War on General Purpose Computing [Doctorow]
- Communities of Practice
- Computers are very delicate
- Creative Class (Florida)
- Data (Personal Data) is the New Oil → Oil is the new Oil.
- Designed in California, Manufatured in China
- The Disappearing Computer
- A Failure of Imagination
- A Failure to Launch
- Free Culture → Code is Law (Lessig)
- Entitlement → Implicit entitlement of The Millennials & The Homelanders (Generation Z)
- Internet of Thingies (IoT)
Internet of Unpatchable Toys (IoT)
Internet of Abandoned Devices
- Internet Trends → Mary Meeker, the boosterism
- It Was Ever Thus → plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose
- Hollowing Out → There is no silicon in Silicon Valley. and there and hasn’t been for over a generation.
- Innovation Duration
- Platform Cooperativism
- Post Open Source (POSS)
- Regulation → public-private “partnerships,” “government has a role to play,” GDPR
- Regulation → Net Neutrality
- Regulation → Internet of Thingies
- Robots → <gee-whizz!>Drones, Servos, Driverlessness</gee-whizz!>
- Silicon Valley Culture → techno optimism, techno determinism, against Washington.
- Stagnation → The Great Stagnation, The Downward Ramp
- STEM, STEEP → labor shortage, labor economics, immigration
- Stocks vs Flows (Hagel’s concepts)
- Surveillance Studies (and the journal)
- Trust, But Verify
- West Coast Culture
- Universal Basic Income (UBI) → To each according to their need.
Trilemma of The Global Scenarios 2025 of Shell Oil (2005)
- Three Poles
- Security, Coercion, Regulation
- Efficiency, Market Incentives
- Social Cohesion, Justice, Communitarianism (The force of community)
- Low Trust Globalization
- Open Doors
Quadratic (ahem, a “Quadrilemma”) of the Internet Futures Scenarios
- Two Axis, Four Quadrant
- Command & Control
- Decentralized & Distributed
- Porous Garden
- Moats and Drawbridges
- Common Pool
- Boutique Networks
- Covering-Law Model
- Diffusion of Innovation (DOI), Everett M. Rogers, 1962.
- Innovation Theor(ies)
- Stocks vs Flows, Edge, John Hagel
- Technological Determinism
- World Systems Theory, Immanuel Wallerstein
- Core vs Peripheral Societies (dimensions of societies)
- Annales School, <ahem>The Marxism</ahem>, Dependency Theory
In Jimi Wales’ Wiki, Encyclopedia Brittanica, etc.
Popularization & Practice
- Clayton Christianson
- Disruptive Innovation
- Innovation to Predict Change
- Geoffrey Moore.
- Core vs Context,
- Gorilla etc.
- Everett M. Rogers; Diffusion of Innovations, 5th Edition Paperback; Free Press; 5th Edition; 2003-08-16; 576 pages; kindle: $25, paper: $13+SHT; earlier editions kindle: $24, paper: $0.01+SHT; separately noted.
- David J. Staley; A History of the Future; In History and Theory; Theme Issue 41; ISSN: 0018-2656; 2002-12; pages 72-89 (18 pages); separately noted, large references section.
- The conference ‘Platform Cooperativism: The Internet, Ownership, Democracy’ convened techno-skeptics whose objections are growing louder | The Washington Post
- Sleeping Through a Revolution | Jonathan Taplin
- The History of Technological Anxiety and the Future of Economic Growth: Is This Time Different? | Mokyr, Vickers, Ziebarth
- The Technology Revolution Impacts and Reduces the Workforce | Jon Taplin @ USC
- Post-Industrious Society: Why work time will not disappear for our grandchildren | Gershuny, Fisherat
- Sheryl Connelly, Ford Motor Company
- Everything you’ve heard about millennials is wrong | The Daily Dotat
- The Midlife Crises of the Generation X
- Diffusion of Innovations | Everett M. Rogersat
- The Saeculum Generational Theory of Strauss & Howe
- Communities of Practice | Wenger et al.at
- Innovation Economics: The Race for Global Advantage | Ezell, Atkinsonat
- Advertising Activism
- Future Studies
- Generational Theory
- Industrial Policy
- Silicon Valley Culture
- Counterfactual Histories, the method of counterfactuals
- Covering-Law Model
- Post Open Source (POSS); In Jimi Wales’ Wiki.
- Ben Ramsey; Post-Open Source; In His Blog; 2016-004-26.
- Quadrilemma, see Trilemma, see Dilemma
- Trilemma, In Jimi Wales’ Wiki
also: uneasy triangle, impossible trinity, and other branded concepts
- stable price level, full employment, free collective bargaining
- impossible trinity,
- fair, free, equal,
- democracy, national sovereignty, global economic integration
- Gail Sheehy, Passages; Ballantine; anniversary edition (1976?); 2006-01-10; 576 pages; kindle: no, paper: $3+SHT.
- Patricia Cohen, In Our Prime: The Invention of Middle Age; Scribner; 1st edition; 2012-01-10; 320 pages; kindle: $11, paper: $0.01+SHT.
- Wendy Fonarow, Empire of Dirt: The Aesthetics and Rituals of British Indie Music; Wesleyan; 2006-07-10; 336 pages; kindle: $13, paper: $4+SHT.
- Emily Matcher, Homeward Bound: Why Women Are Embracing the New Domesticity; Simon & Shuster; 2013-05-07; 288 pages; kindle: $14, paper: $3+SHT.
- Shell Oil
- John Yeoman, John Moriarty, Michelle Mars; New Zealand Tourism 2050: The Use of Scenarios; WHERE?; WHEN?; 4 pages. …/incoming/Introduction to Scenarios.pdf
- World Economic Forum (Bain & Company)