What you don’t know about Internet algorithms is hurting you. (And you probably don’t know very much!); Caitlin Dewey; In The Washington Post; 2015-03-23.
tl;dr => entertainment uses algorithms, algorithms are bad
- Pinnability: Machine learning in the home feed; staff (Pinterest); In Their Blog; 2015-03-20.
tl;dr => Pinterest has changed their algorithm to order by relevance rather than time
- Claim about people under 35
- Google and Facebook are the primary news sources for people under 35.
- Attribution is unclear.
- Unspecified sociologists call algorithms a means of Social Control.
- Social Control is the title of a keynote at Theorizing the Web
the keynote is alleged to assert that “algorithms as a type of social engineering.” (which is bad).
- Theorizing the Web
- Companies with algorithms
In archaeological order, newer more derivative works on top, older original matieral down below
- Motahhare Eslami, Aimee Rickman, Kristen Vaccaro, Amirhossein Aleyasen, Andy Vuong, Karrie Karahalios, Kevin Hamilton, Christian Sandvig; “I always assumed that I wasn’t really that close to [her]”: Reasoning about invisible algorithms in the news feed; In Proceedings of ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (HCI); 2015-04-18; 10 pages.
tl;dr => developed FeedViz to exhibit the difference between all output possible in a Facebook News Feed and the Facebook-presented (algorithm-curated) News Feed that consumers actually see. Consumer awareness levels are reported.
- When Algorithms Are Sexist; Victoria Turk; In Motherboard; 2015-03-20.
- Zeynep Tufekci; The Year We Get Creeped Out By Algorithms; Nieman Lab; In Their Blog; 2014-12.
Teaser: Algorithmic judgment is the uncanny valley of computing.
- Zeynep Tufekci; Ferguson is also a Net Neutrality Issue; In Medium; 2014-08-14.
- Christian Sandvik, Kevin Hamilton, Karrie Karahalios, Cedrik Langbort; Algorithm Audit; 6 pages; Within Seeta Penã Gangadharan, Virginia Eubanks, Solon Barocas (editors); Data and Discrimination: Collected Essays; Open Technology Institute, New American Foundation; 2014-10.
- Nine Answers about Facebook’s Creepy Emotional Manipulation Experiment; Caitlin Dewey; In The Washington Post; 2014-07-01.
The branded concepts of the activism
- Algorithm Audit
of Christian Sandvik; Kevin Hamilton, Karrie Karahalios, Cedrik Langbort
- Corrupt Personalization
of Christian Sandvik
- Filter Bubble (monetized as a book)
of Eli Pariser
Pantheon of the activists, cited
- Eli Pariser
attributed as an activist
- Christian Sandvik
attributed as a communications researcher
- Zeynep Tufekci
attributed as a sociologist
This is just a silly & transparent ploy to make a connection to a non-technical audience. Everyone can relate to Important Art.