Robert L. Mitchell; Ad blockers: A solution or a problem?; In ComputerWorld; 2014-01-15.
Teaser: It’s a cause. It’s a curse. It’s just business. Ad blockers take a bite out of the $20 billion digital advertising pie.
Robert L. Mitchell; The business of ad blocking: A Q&A with Adblock Plus lead investor Tim Schumacher; In ComputerWorld; 2014-01-15.
Teaser: interview with Tim Schumacher
- Adblock Plus
- Till Faida, president
- Acceptable Ads program
- Tim Schumacher
- the founder of domain marketplace Sedo
- Adblock Plus’ biggest investor
- Attributed to Tim Schumacher
- 148 publishers participate in the Acceptable Ads program
- 90% of participants in the program aren’t charged at all
- Attributed to Ad Block Plus
- rejected 50% of 777 whitelist applicants; because of [their] unacceptable ads,
- the overall acceptance rate stands at just 9.5%.
- <quote>Adblock Plus claims that about 6% of all Web surfers in the U.S. run its open-source software, mostly in the form of Google Chrome and Firefox browser add-ons and extensions.</quote>
- Some “Alexa top 100″ site, spoken for anonymously by an ex-employee.
- Not Ad Block Plus, but something else
- Michael Gundlach, founder, ex-Google
- Ido Yablonka, CEO
- URL-swapping mechanism
- Funding: around $0.5M
- Niero Gonzalez
- Casey Oppenheim, co-CEO
- Mauricio Freitas, publisher
- 2013-03 => removed Ad Block Plus from its Google Play store, 2013-03
- 2013-06 => deal with Ad Block Plus
- search ads
- sponsored search results
- AdSense partners
- Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB)
- Mike Zaneis, senior vice president
- Sean Blanchfield, CEO
- Funding: around $0.5M
- Erik Martin, general manager
- Some Site
- Not named explicitly
- “top-ranking in Alexa”
- Spoken for by an ex-employee.
- <quote>On the other hand, the former executive at the Alexa top-ranking site said an Adblock Plus representative told him he had to pay even though Adblock Plus agreed that the publisher’s ads were acceptable and should not be blocked. “If we didn’t pay they would continue to block us. To me it seems like extortion,” he says.</quote>
Quoted for color, breadth & verisimilitude
- Rob Beeler, vice president of content and media at AdMonsters LLC.
- Irina Raicu, director of Programs in Internet Ethics at the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University.
- Harold Furchtgott-Roth, senior fellow and director at the Center for the Economics of the Internet at the Hudson Institute; a former FCC commissioner.
- Alan Chapell, president of consumer privacy law firm Chapell & Associates.
- Only time will tell (the old saw)
- <quote>Everything turns on what consumers do next. </quote>