Revert to catalyst-13.4 and stick with Kernel 3.9
This is an operable configuration; with 4x Hewlett-Packard ZR30w
$ rpm -q -a | grep -Ee '(catalyst|kernel-[^d])' | sort kernel-3.9.11-200.fc18.x86_64 kernel-3.9.2-200.fc18.x86_64 kernel-modules-extra-3.9.11-200.fc18.x86_64 kernel-modules-extra-3.9.2-200.fc18.x86_64 kmod-catalyst-3.9.11-200.fc18.x86_64-13.4-2.fc18.8.x86_64 kmod-catalyst-3.9.2-200.fc18.x86_64-13.4-2.fc18.x86_64 xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-13.4-1.fc18.x86_64 xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs-13.4-1.fc18.x86_64
As of 2013-08-24, the use of 4K displays, e.g. the ASUS PQ321, no longer functions. The FirePro video system forces the 4K display back to a lowrez mode. That is fully characterized here. A configuration with 2x HP ZR30w and 1x ASUS PQ321 worked well for weeks. Then one day, without any updating, it stopped functioning and won’t work (even a full powercycle of all components). The ASUS PQ321 had to be removed from the system; 4x HP ZR30w works fine (but only with catalyst-13.4)
- AMD Catalyst™ 13.8 LINUX Beta Driver
- AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta Driver for Linux
- AMD Catalyst™ Proprietary Display Driver – Linux x86 & Linux x86_64
- Catalyst Linux Installer, a document
- Linux Crew Survey
-  Kernel 3.10 support
-  “Testing use only” watermark removed
… pesky but benign relative to the lethargy and breakage of catalyst-13.8
catalyst-13.8 is broken and unusable.
- Only “updates” the static GNOME desktop when there is motion; e.g. mouse motion.
- In gnome-terminal, it has the feel of working on a 1970s very slow 100-baud tty.
- There seems to be a ~20 sec to ~30 sec timeout after which pending graphics events are flushed.
- Putting the desktop into full compositing mode (e.g. ALT-F2) allows the X events to stream freely (e.g. video playback functions).
- glxgears doesn’t run the gears unless ALT-F2 or the mouse is used to move the window around.
- This is unusable.
The symptoms are all different (and different from mine):
- Some Dude; fedora 19 + 3.10 + amd catalyst 13.8 broken; In firstname.lastname@example.org (gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general); 2013-08-06.
- Ankur Sinha; fc19 3.10.3 gnome not starting (oh no error, black screen); On ask.fedoraproject.org; 21013-07-29.