Alexi Friedman; N.J. wins $1 million settlement from online ad company for violating web user privacy; In NJ.com; 2013-07-25.
- based in New York, NY
- Formed 2011-09
- Via merger.
- ContextWeb Inc.
- Datran Media Corp.
- Apple Safari
- Privacy settings (3rd party cookie settings) were bypassed.
- Span of occurrences
- started 2009-06
- ended 2012-02, by intervention from the Wall Street Journal (an article).
- Aleecia McDonald, director of privacy at Stanford University’s Center for Internet & Society.
- Eric Kanefsky, director of Division of Consumer Affairs, New Jersey.
- $566,000 civil penalty
- $150,000 for privacy protection programs and high-tech investigative tools
- $250,000 for advertising services PulsePoint will provide “to protect the public from fraud.”