I have a Chimera not an 8770w. Here are the issues I’d look for in the 8770w:
- Runs Linux? Maybe (as-declared: runs Windows 7)
- Cooling; these things run very (very) hot
- The boards are configured to shut off at 95C.
- These are server-class processors with speed step
- You can do short bursts, but not long grinding computes
- The limiting factor on these things is always and ever video piping out to actual viewable display area. There are only two video outputs:
- The inboard panel at 1980×1080
- The outboard DisplayPort at 2550×1600 (max?)
- Battery life: if you want battery life, get something else. If you get these, you want speed, capacity, capability in an 8 lb container.
Runs Linux: guaranteed
- No longer available 2012-12.
- 1920×1080 display inboard panel
- nVidia GTX 485M or nVidia GTX 560M, 2GB GDDR5
- i3 through i7 processors available.
- base model $1800
- “all the dials at 11″ model circa $6600.