Desgns & Projects
- Specification: facebook/opencompute
- Open Rack; circa 2012-05-02
- Facebook – Knox storage server “vanity free”
- AMD – Roadrunner
- Intel – Decathlete
- Tencent & Baidu – Project Scorpio
- HP – “Project Coyote” server
- Dell “Zeus” storage
- Contributed by Facebook
- Open Vault
- Dragon Stone
- Group Hug board
- OCP Solutions Provider
- Frank Frankovsky (OCP); OCP Summit IV: Breaking up the monolith; In Their Blog; 2013-01-16.
- Frank Frankovsky (Facebook); Open Compute Summit: 2013; In Their Blog; 2013-01-16.
- Open Compute Summit; Santa Clara; 2013-01-16; agenda; livestream
- Founded 2011-Q2 (spring)
- A foundation for governance
- announced 2011-10
- Backers (different than “partners” … purely financial?)
- Goldman Sacks
- Applied Micro
- 50 organizations are part of the project, Frankovsky says.
- elsewhere: HP, AMD, Fidelity, Quanta, Tencent, Salesforce.com, VMware, Canonical, DDN, Vantage, ZT Systems, Avnet, Alibaba, Supermicro, and Cloudscaling cite
- HP, AMD, Fidelity, Quanta, Tencent, Salesforce.com, VMware, Canonical, DDN, Vantage, ZT Systems, Avnet, Alibaba, Supermicro, and Cloudscaling. HP, Quanta, and Tencent have taken the additional step of joining the OCP Incubation Committee cite
- Avnet is investing in Open Compute labs. cite
- Quanta has launched a new business called QCT where they are bringing new Open Compute technology directly to end users. cite
- OpenCompute Group on Facebook
- Standardized motherboard (socket) for Intel and AMD processors
- “Group Hug Slot” (a motherboard specification)
- Intel, AMD and Applied Micro support for x86 (x86_64)
- Calxeda support for ARM processors.
- Intel something about a motherboard based on (its) “silicon photonics technology.
Mentions separately and elsewhere
- Rumors (cite) that Intel is moving to a socket-free motherboard; where the processor is soldered directly onto the board with a factory-only BGA bonding process.
- Rumors that Hewlett-Packard, and to an extent, Dell, which “manufacture” PCs
- Julie Bort; Facebook Fires ‘Killing Blow’ Into A $55 Billion Market; In Business Insider; 2013-01-17.
- Cade Metz; Facebook Shatters the Computer Server Into Tiny Pieces; In Wired; 2013-01-16.
- Stacey Higginbotham; Facebook and Open Compute just blew up the server and disrupted a $55B market; In GigaOM; 2013-01-16.
- Julie Bort; Inside Facebook’s Plan To Revolutionize The Entire Hardware Industry; In Business Insider; 2012-08-10.
- Stacey Higginbotham; How Facebook Changed Technology in One Day; In GigaOM; 2011-04-07.
- Jason; Facebook’s Open Compute: The Data Center is the New Server and the Rise of the Taiwanese Tigers; In Their Blog; 2011-04-07.